Friday, November 16, 2012

At Home Highlights with Revlon Frost & Glow Kit

I loved the ombre but I was over it pretty quickly. I really only liked it when my hair was wavy. If I straightened it, the ombre just looked like grown out highlights. I wanted it to look effortless, not lazy. Big difference.

So I went darker and then highlighted myself. It's a good transitional autumn color. I really love it! I used the Clairol Professional Premium Creme Haircolor in 5NN. It took 2 bottles to get my whole hair covered. It was DARK. Which I liked but wasn't the result I was going for.

I let that simmer down for about a week and then used a Revlon Frost & Glow Honey Highlighting Kit for Medium to Dark Brown hair. They also have a kit for lighter hair. I prefer the Honey kit, even when my hair is super blonde.

Revlon Frost & Glow Highlighting Kit 1 ea

I have honestly been using the Frost & Glow kits since I was about 16. It's the only drugstore highlighting kit I ever use. I've used it on myself, friends, family and even was paid to do a teachers hair in high school. This kit is seriously fool-proof, provided you follow a few simple steps. Here's the method I use to get great results every time.

1. I always highlight on second day hair. I feel like it just works better. Maybe the oils protect my scalp a little more or something, but I never highlight freshly washed hair.

2. I part it down the middle, even though that's not my regular part. This step ensures even distribution of the streaks throughout your hair, regardless of where you normally part.

3. I brush my hair really well and put the cap on as tightly as I can stand. This prevents leakage into the cap.

4. I pull the streaks through every single hole in the cap. There are markings on the cap that you can follow for different effects but I've had the best luck using every hole.

5. After all the streaks are pulled through the holes, I take a brush and brush all the streaks really well. Make sure all the little loops are pulled through near the roots to ensure your streaks are solid. I also put all the hair that is not pulled through the cap into a low pony tail in the back once I am done. This helps prevent any bleach from falling into the hair not being bleached.

6. I start with the bleach in the back as it is usually the darkest and needs the most processing time. I do it in about one inch sections and pull the bleach through the ends first and then work closer to the roots. DO NOT EVER put the bleach straight on the cap. The bleach will puff up as it heats up from processing and WILL bleed through the holes. You want the bleach away from the scalp and off the cap as much as possible. Don't be concerned with getting close to your roots, a little space will give you better results and will avoid spotting. This is the most important step, bleach on the cap will give you leopard spots...EVERY SINGLE TIME.

7. As I complete each section, I loosely clip it with a small plastic claw clip. Don't pile it on your head, again...this will create bleeding. Clip it loosely to keep it from tangling with the other sections and to keep the bleach from dripping, but don't clip it on top of your head.

8. After all the sections are done, gently put the provided plastic cap on and seal with a plastic claw clip on your forehead. 

9. I know my hair is done processing when the streaks turn a very pale yellow while under the plastic. It generally takes 30 minutes of processing for ME, but everyones hair is different. Don't make the common mistake of removing when they look orange. The bleach is still lifting. Wait until you get that pale butter shade and then rinse.

10. The shampoo and conditioner provided is enough to wash about 1/8th of my hair. Use your own shampoo and a nice deep conditioner. This is bleach afterall and will damage your hair somewhat depending on it's condition. I always deep condition after bleaching.

Here's my hair before Frost & Glow...



And here's my results...






24 comments:

  1. Very kool, I love it. Thanks for a very thorough explanation; it helps even though I don't think I will take the time to do it on my own for fear that I would do it wrong. You've given great step by step instructions for someone who is used to coloring their hair at home. Let’s see if my seasoned colorist/stylist can do this as well as you've done. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks good! I don't know how the instructions disappeared from my kit, but THANK YOU for such thorough directions. This will be my first time to try.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've looked at so many videos and reviews, but this one is the BEST. My hair is the same color as your before picture. Your directions are clear,and I like your tips too. I usually pile my hair on the cap, I will try your method.Your after picture looks so nice, and the color is great. I am going to try Loreal Frost and glow in Honey. I even Bookmarked your review so I can make sure I do it as you do. Thank you again. I have used frosting kits before, so I should be ok.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, thank you! I hope it helps and hope you love the outcome :) I've done mine twice since this post so it's a little blonder but still get amazing results for $6 a box!

      Delete
  4. I ment to say Revlon frost and glow, see I've reviewed too many.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks amazing! The last time I used this I was in high school, and it was always a hige hit. Can't wait to do it again. How do you usually touch up roots though?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you wait at least 8 weeks between highlighting, it is very easy to tell at that point which hairs have been highlighted and which haven't based off the roots. I'll only do the root portion of the already highlighted hairs and do the full strand of any that are "virgin". It takes a little bit longer but if you don't want to go any blonder, that's the best way I've found!

      Delete
  6. This looks so good!! I'm so trying this soon.

    ReplyDelete
  7. doing this fucking hurts, getting each individuel amount of hair between the holes rips out ky hair and gets all tangled

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It definitely shouldn't hurt. In my experience, if it's painful or tangling you might be pulling too much hair through the cap.

      Delete
  8. I am so glad I found your post. The best directions I have seen, even better than on youtube! Thank you for taking the time. Currently, I have highlighted hair. It's been since about March since I did highlights last and I have significant root growth (obviously). I'm considering using the kit to touch up the regrowth but not put it where I'm already highlighted. Have you done anything like that? If you have, please let me know your experience. I'm interested in knowing how it turned out.
    Thank you in advance

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad it's helpful! In my experience, if you want to re-highlight with the kit, it's very doable. Once you get the peices pulled out it should be easy to tell where the bleach needs to go and easy to avoid the already lightened pieces. Just take your time, do small sections and you should get great results! Good luck!

      Delete
    2. Your hair turned out beautiful! Thank you for your directions. I plan to follow them tonight for the first time. How close should I get to my roots /cap? Does this kit cover a few grey hairs too? Thanksfor all of your aadvice! Emily

      Delete
  9. Hi
    I have dyed dark brown hair. I did a stand test and left product on for 4o mins. It was quite orange.
    Is it safe to leave for sixty mins?
    Your hair looks lovely btw

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've left it on up to 60 minutes and it worked fine, if it's still orangey after that point though I would remove it. The bleach won't stay active very long and all you'll do is fry your hair. If it's resistance to the bleach, maybe do one session, wait a week or two to let your hair recover and do another session to get the color you want. Purple shampoo will be your friend :) Good luck!

      Delete
  10. Thanks for this excellent post!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have dyed black hair (Revlon Colorsilk #10 Black a few months ago) and it has now faded to a very very dark brown. I'm thinking of using Frost & Glow to gradually lighten my hair. I've used it in the past with great results, but in virgin hair. Do you think this will work on my current hair? Yours was dyed dark brown, but mine was dyed black so I'm kinda unsure. Thanks in advance!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rin! I've never tried it on black hair, but from other experiences...I wouldn't recommend it alone. I worry it might go pumpkin orange or damage your hair beyond repair. I might try a product to remove some of the black first, then do some deep conditioning for a few days and then try the Frost N Glow. I'd definitely to a test strand first to see. Everyone's hair is different though. Good luck!

      Delete
  12. Iv never dyed my hair using Revlon frost and glow but tried highlights years ago that turned or bright yellow, I'm thinking of trying again with frost and glow my hair has been dye free for about ten years now will it still turn our yellow as last time it was a different product and I'm hoping this time I get the results I want, also does anyone know why it turned yellow and not blonde :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello! If you got yellow, it might not have been left on long enough, or you might have needed to lift more levels than the kit could do. If you try it again, try leaving the bleach on until the hair appears a buttery shade, not yellow, but pale like the inside of a banana. If it's taking a long time you can apply some heat with your blow dryer but don't get it too close to the plastic cap on your head. Both those tricks should help!

      Delete
  13. Wow, that came out awesome. I just colored my hair for the first time, a natural light brown color. How long do I have to wait to try the hi-lites?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd wait a week or so. Not too long that you'll have a massive difference in roots, but not so soon that you damage your hair more than needed :) I only pull through a small amount of hair. Especially if it's longer, it can easily tangle or clog up the holes in the cap if you get too big of pieces. Hope that helps!

      Delete
  14. One other thing. How much hair do you pull through each hole? My hair is very long and thick. Thanks>

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great advice! I've colored my hair yesterday to a medium cool brown and I want highlight as well. I wash my hair every two days so would Fri night be to soon to highlight. I have an event on Sat and was hoping to have it all done

    ReplyDelete