Thursday, January 3, 2013

Drugstore Dupe for MAC Bare Study Paint Pot

My love for the Maybelline Color Tattoo's is no new thing. I think you all know how great I think they are. Well, when I heard they were releasing some newer colors I was out on the hunt for them.

Much to my suprise they are HARD to find where I live. Everytime I go to a drugstore I looked for them, but wasn't having much luck until I went to Walmart a few weekends ago. I saw this little Maybelline display peeking out from behind an end cap of mascaras, and VIOLA. All the new Color Tattoo's were there, hidden behind another display!


Anyway, I knew for sure I wanted Barely Branded as soon as I saw it. It's an exact dupe for Bare Study by MAC which I love the color of and use quite a lot but I'm not in love with the formulation. The color of both is a creamy, champagne with golden sheen. It works great as a highlight color on your browbone, on your inner corner of the eyes, as an all over shade on the lid with a nice neutral crease color or can also be used lightly as a highlight on top of your cheekbones. I grabbed Barely Branded and another Bad to the Bronze because I was out and use that almost every single day.

When in the pot, Barely Branded is identical to Bare Study. Texture wise, I prefer the Color Tattoo. The paint pots from MAC can feel a little "greasy" to me, or at least Bare Study does and I have a hard time getting Bare Study to apply smoothly. With Barely Branded, it applies perfectly and sets nice enough to wear on it's own or works perfectly as a primer under colors like Naked Lunch (MAC) or Sin (Urban Decay). Swatched on the hand, the golden tones come out more on Bare Study making it almost a yellowy gold and Barely Branded is a little more neutral, which I think I prefer.


Have you tried any of the new Color Tattoo shades? Any you really loved?

4 comments:

  1. Hi! Just found your blog! I love Barely Branded. I was sad I missed out on Barely Beige in the fall but was excited to find this one. I had a hard time finding it too. Finally found one randomly at K-Mart. Love your posts! I just started a blog myself and I'd love for you to check it out. I've added yours to my reading list.
    makeupandmochamint.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was bummed about Barely Beige too. Those ones flew off the shelves! So glad you liked the post and congrats on your blog as well :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just checked on Amazon and they have it there, plus the barely beige you were talking about. Hope this helps!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I use the "tough as taupe" as an eyebrow filler/definer. It stays put. It's awesome. It is also a bit on the ashy side and ashy colors tend to look more natural on the brows. I recommend it for brunettes-blondes and I think it would look fantastic on women with grey hair as well. Love it!!

    ReplyDelete