Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Fabulous Fall Hair, Makeup and Clothes!

My Little Family

I love this time of the year. It is my absolute favorite. I am a total sweaters, jeans and boots kind of girl and I just can't wait for September/October/November weather, fashion and foods.
As the seasons change, so should our fashion, makeup and hair care routines. I am currently in the process of switching to some of my more fall appropriate products and thought I'd give you a little rundown of what all that entails.

1. Moisturizer. I am currently switching from Aveeno tinted moisturizer to the Origins VitaZing. I feel that it's a little creamier and really keeps my skin hydrated and soft without getting greasy. It also gives you a little color for a nice glow when your tan can start to fade.

For my body, I will typically switch to a thicker daily body butter rather than a lotion. I just feel that it works better in the crisper weather.

In addition to moisturizing, you should also be exfoliating. The weather changes will effect your skin and exfoliating will keep those dead skin cells at bay, will give you a healthy glow and will keep your skin at it's best. Once or twice a week is plenty.

2. Hair. My hair needs lots of moisture. Always. I'm finding with the ombre, my ends especially need lots of extra TLC to avoid looking like straw. In addition to Moroccanoil or Dove nourishing oil, I started doing twice weekly deep conditioning treatments and trying to wash and blow-dry less. Try some interesting braids or sock buns to get it out of your face and look more "done". If it's too cold to leave the house with wet hair in the morning, try showering at night and letting your hair air dry before you go to sleep. The nicer you can be to your hair, the nicer it will be to you.

3. Makeup. This is the time to swap out your glowier, lighter foundations and go with something with a little more coverage. (NOT HEAVY!) I have been using the original ColorStay foundation by Revlon for a few weeks almost exclusively and find it to be a perfect fall foundation.

I've also pulled out my deeper blushes. Your skin will need a little more of a pop in the fall months as the cold weather tends to make our skin get a little duller. I go more for rosey, berry, or warm golden peachy shades in the fall.

As far as eyes, generally I am pretty much a neutrals kind of girl. Not in a boring way, I just find that my coloring works better with more earthy tones (think Naked Palette). I will use more plums, chocolates and dark bronzey tones in the fall. I love using a plum eyeliner rather than a harsh black in the fall and a shimmery gold on the lower lashline is very luxx this time of year.

It's also a good time to swap out those bright lip colors for something a little deeper with a little bit better staying power. While a gloss is perfect in the heat with glowy sunkissed skin, consider grabbing a lipstick or a jumbo lip pencil. Something with a little more pigmentation can really be a great statement!

4. Nails. I was major into neons this summer. The brighter the better!! I've swapped out my summer polishes for my fall/winter collection and am kind of loving the deeper hues. I currently have sparkly chocolate on my toes and a deep plum on my nails. I feel like charcoal greys, deep navy, olive greens and bordeaux colors will be huge for me this fall for nails. Be daring, try a french manicure with a gold tip or chocolate brown with burgundy glitter. Go decadent!

5. Clothes. Oh goodness, the clothes. Fall is the perfect time for dresses with boots, skirts with awesome leather jackets, long cardigans with cozy leggings. All of my favorite things. Use texture. Cable knit tights can turn a very summery jersey skirt into a fall staple. Layer that awesome summer tank top you can't stop wearing under a long cardi or wrap a scarf around your neck and that summer dress is completely transformed. Those skinny jeans you love with your summer wedges or heels would look great tucked into a killer pair of boots!

Think outside the box. You don't need to buy a whole new wardrobe or all new makeup for a new season, use what you already have in different ways. Happy Fall!

No comments:

Post a Comment