Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Prom Hair and Makeup


This year my super gorgeous cousin Allison went to her first prom. I was so excited when she asked me to do her hair and makeup for it. I don't actually remember if she asked or if I insisted...either way :) We've done hair/makeup for homecoming, but prom is a major deal and so much more exciting.

Her dress was this gorgeous, poppy pinkish red hue that just looked stunning on her. Because it had one shoulder of rosettes, we decided to do her hair all to one side. She chose a voluminous side swept style and I think she chose the perfect hair to compliment her dress.

This was the inspiration picture she chose. I think we got pretty close, with a few little changes because her hair isn't as long as the picture.



I started on her dry hair. I split the hair in sections by layer and sprayed each section with heat protectant. I then curled the hair with my flat iron  and curled it in different directions so it wouldn't clump together. I think curling in different directions was the most vital step to this look. It really gave her hair more volume and kept it big. Which is what she wanted.

Once I got about 1/2 way up her head, I started slightly backcombing each section before curling to give it a little more "oomph" since she wanted volume.

When we reached the crown section, I used Backcomb in a Bottle by Big Sexy Hair. I sprayed at the roots and then slightly backcombed that as well for extra volume. I flat iron curled all of those sections and allowed it all to cool in clips.

Once it was cooled, I started pinning the bottom section. She didn't want a "ponytail" look, more side swept. So I just very loosely (don't pull) started pinning pieces to the side while working with the curl. As I worked my way up I tried to pin on top of the already pinned pieces to create more of a cascading look instead of an updo.

I finished by taking my backcomb tail, inserting it on the crown section and lightly pulling up to get the top to loosen. This created the final bit of volume at her crown. I then placed 3 rhinestoned pins in the twist section of the hair and sprayed the ever loving hell out her hair.


 
 
Now on to makeup.
 

 
 
Because her dress was such an extraordinary shade, we didn't want to try to match or go bright with the lips. So, a traditional smokey eye seemed like a good choice for some drama. This girl has crazy long eyelashes so we didn't have to use fake eyelashes. 
 
I think the combination of a smokey eye with a lighter lip kept her look youthful and fresh but still dramatic and special enough for prom. I used the following products for her makeup look:
 
Face:
Revlon ColorStay Foundation
Rimmel Stay Matte Powder
Rimmel Match Perfection Highlighting Concealer
NYC Sunny Bronzer
Revlon Coral Reef Cream Blush
Wet n Wild Reserve Your Cabana Highlighter


Eyes:
Maybelline Color Tattoo in Barely Branded and Bad to the Bronze
Urban Decay Naked Palette (Sin, Virgin, Halfbaked, Smog, Toasted, Hustle and Creep)
CoverGirl 24 Hour LashBlast Mascara on top lashes only
Sephora Flashy Eyeliner in Ultra Brown on ower lashes and waterline
L'Oreal Carbon Black Lineur Intense liquid eyeliner

Lips:
Bonne Bell Lip Lites Strawberry Parfait

Overall, I was so pleased with how it all came out and was so lucky to be able to be a part of Ali's special day. She's a gorgeous girl who I love so very much and I can't wait to do it again next year!!

No comments:

Post a Comment